Thursday, May 1, 2014

They that must not be named are at it again.

I torture myself somewhat by watching a certain television show that features the sale of jewelry. I say torture because in my opinion,  this show that will remain nameless makes my job more difficult than it needs to be. However, what they sell will inevitably make its way to my bench over time and I need to be ready for it when it does, so I watch.
A while back, they were selling buffing machines to the general public, and I about lost my mind. For those that don't know, a buffer is a machine that polishes jewelry. If you don't know what you're doing, you shouldn't own one. There in lies the problem. MOST people don't know what they're doing.
On the off chance that any of you find yourself using a buffer, keep these tips in mind:
1: don't polish chains or bracelets on the buffer. Unless you have the appropriate tools to attach the chains or bracelets to, don't even attempt it. It's a good way to lose a finger.
2: if you aren't used to burning your fingers daily, I recommend putting your rings on a wooden mandrel (one at a time) and buffing that way. Don't press the mandrel into the polishing wheels with force. Every time your ring is buffed, a small amount of metal is worn away. Buffing removes small surface scratches which is why your rings look newer when they are buffed.  Press it somewhat lightly to the wheel and be careful to avoid protruding stones that sit up higher.
3: now that I think about it, stay away from any stones altogether. I can't see what you're polishing and just to be safe, don't do it. Polish around them.
4: don't buff with billowing sleeves or loose clothes of any kind. Pull your hair back and tuck any long chains into your shirt to avoid getting caught in the spinning wheels. I'm not kidding guys, these things move fast, and if they get caught....words cannot express the panic that will ensue.
5: professional shops will have air filters on their machines because they are likely larger buffers than these small ones that the show was selling, but we have filters because they blow polishing compound all over. They will throw out a fine black dust like substance that will get on the walls and whatever else you have around it and it's not necessarily easy to clean up. So, just be aware of that.
6: it's not necessary to buff your jewelry regularly. If you're wanting to just keep up with your bling and make sure it's in good shape, a simple cleaning will do in between visits to the jeweler. Again, don't use toothpaste. Try regular Mr. clean in warm water with a soft bristled toothbrush.
7: the likelihood of this being an issue is remote at best, but I like to cover my bases. Don't polish platinum pieces with the same polishing wheel that you use for gold or silver. Like I said earlier, every buffing removes metal. Where do you think it goes? On the wheels. Platinum is a hypoallergenic metal, and when you press it to the polishing wheel, it will get tiny microscopic amounts of the other metals from previous polishes impregnated in it. So have a separate wheel for Plat.  Pieces.
8: while I'm on the Platinum subject, you should also know that while it is 60% more dense than gold, it's also Very malleable. Platinum dings up easily and those dings are murder to get out. Don't polish these on the buffer with the expectation that they'll look new like your gold when done. If you want it to look new, you're gonna have to give up your do it yourself ways and bring it to a pro to have it refurbished.

I have an issue with the nameless television program selling these machines because they did so without specifying the dangers and general rules of the buffer. Being a goldsmith isn't easy. You work with chemicals, fire, hot metal, sharp objects.... it takes time, patience, skill, and not everyone can do it.
I watch the program frequently and more often than not, opinions are advertised as fact and that is a dangerous game to play. I just want everyone to be careful and be informed consumers. Thanks for reading:)

No comments: